Start Day – Kittery
BikeMaine 2015 began at the southernmost tip of Maine in Kittery, the state’s oldest incorporated town. Located at the mouth of the Piscataqua River, Kittery was settled in the early 1600s by fishermen, hunters, trappers and loggers. During the American Revolution, the first ships of the U.S. Navy were built in Kittery, including the 1777 USS Ranger commanded by John Paul Jones, The Portsmouth Naval Shipyard, established by the federal government in 1800 on Fernald’s Island is linked to Kittery by two bridges. The first ship produced was the 74 gun warship, USS Washington, in 1814. The Shipyard continues its tradition of excellence and service to the nation by supplying the U.S Navy’s submarine fleet with overhaul, refueling and modernization work.
Kittery has some fine early architecture, including the Sir William Pepperrell House, built in 1733, and the Lady Pepperrell House, built in 1760. The John Bray House, built in 1662, is believed to be the oldest surviving house in Maine. Today downtown Kittery is home to artists, specialty shops and restaurants. A large collection of retail outlets located along Route 1, makes Kittery a popular shopping destination for tourists.
Fort Foster, located at the end of Pocahontas Road, was a fortress used during World War II and is now a public recreation and beach facility. BikeMaine riders congregated here for the start of BikeMaine 2015.